Wednesday 15 September 2010

It's Not About The Coffee


Leadership Principles from a Life at Starbucks
- Howard Behar

I wasn't a fan of coffee until I had my first cup at Coffee Bean some fifteen years ago. But, I can't afford to have it regularly as it was pricey in comparison to my salary those days. Today, I am addicted to gourmet coffee, well the very least coffees served either one of the followings Gloria Jeans, Starbucks and Coffee Beans & Tea Leaves. I have also discoverd the Highland Coffee, one of the famous brands in Vietnam, UCC Cafes of Japan and Old Town Kopitam in Malaysia.

Green coffee beans also means a lot to me as I am responsible to redesign new global coffee supply chain. That creates more appreciation for me as an avid coffee drinker

Regardless, this book is actually all about coffee! Its the inside story behind how Starbucks leadership management expands. My only reservation is that, this might be the personal experience of Howard Behar and not Starbucks as the whole. I read this as a common sense approach to leadership development which may be good for new leaders and veterans who needs the extra push to achieve organizational excellence.
.
In summary, there are 10 principles that Howard Behar applies in running the company:-
1) Know who you are: wear one HAT only
2) Know why you are here: do it because its right, not because its right for your resume
3) Think independently: the person who sweeps the floor should choose the broom.
4) Build trust: care like you really mean it
5) Listen for the truth: the walls talk
6) Be accountable: only the truth sounds like the truth
7) Take actions: think like a person of action and act like a person of thought
8) Face challanges: we are human being first
9) Parctise leadership: the big noise and still, the small noise
10) Dare to dream: say yes, the most powerful word in the world
.
Personal Review
Unless you are an avid fan of Starbucks, I don't fancy to recommend this book! All the 183 pages of this book has been summarized from No 1 to 10 as above

No comments:

Post a Comment